History of Alibag :-

Alibag was developed in 17th Century by Sarkhel Kanhoji Aangre the naval chief of King Shivaji's Kingdom.  Alibag is costal town and a municipal council in Raigad district in Kokan region of Maharashtra, India. It is headquarter of the Raigad district. Raigad's first name is "Kulaba". Today's Ramnath was the main village at that time.  Alibag as the place of capital of Kulaba district. There were gardens of Ali who is rich man so the area is known as Alibag.  Alibag is also known as "Shreebag". 

Rewdanda, Chaul, Nagon, Aakshi, Varsoli,Thal, Kihim and Aawas this villages are known as "Ashtagare" at that time.
On that time there were some Navy Battles out of which one at Varsoli in between Kanhoji Aangre and Siddhi of Janjira in the year 1706.  In 1722 an English and Portuguese were joint attacked on Kulaba fort and they were loose this war. At chaul the battle in between English and Sakhoji in 1730. In this war Sakhoji won the war and brought down the looser people with their captain at Kulaba.  Kanhoji even issued his own currency in the form of a silver coin called the Alibagi rupaiya.

Alibag is declared as the place of Taluka in 1852.

www.shreeyoginfo.com. 2007-08 All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Privacy Policy  | Contact Us